Margarita Engle is the Cuban-American winner of the first Newbery Honor ever awarded to a Latino. Her award winning young adult novels in verse include The Surrender Tree, The Poet Slave of Cuba, Tropical Secrets, and The Firefly Letters.
Engle’s most recent books are The Lightning Dreamer and When You Wander.
Her new middle grade chapter book, Mountain Dog, was published in August 2013. Margarita's upcoming book, Silver People, Voices From the Panama Canal, will be released in 2014.
She lives in central California, where she enjoys helping her husband with his volunteer work for wilderness search and rescue dog training programs.
Photo © Marshall W. Johnson
Join Margarita at these events:
- April 15, 2014
Margarita will be recording an interview about the University of Queensland Press edition of Silver People, on an Australian national radio program
- March 18, 2014
Margarita has been invited to Skype with a National Institute of Education Class (Using Multicultural Children's Books to Promote Socio-emotional Learning), in Singapore, to discuss Summer Birds.
- March 29, 2014
Margarita will be signing her books, Tiny Rabbit's Big Wish and Silver People at Petunia's Place bookstore in Fresno, from 11 am to 1 pm.
- April 9-11, 2014
Margarita will be speaking at the Texas Library Association Conference in San Antonio, TX.
- April 21-23, 2014
Margarita has been invited to speak at the The Poetry Center, University of Arizona, Tucson.
- May 17, 2014
Margarita has been invited to speak on a children's author and illustrator panel at the Fig Garden Women's Club Brunch in Fresno.
- July 17, 2014
Margarita will be speaking and signing at the San Joaquin River Parkway, in Fresno, as part of the Respite By the River series.
- September 18-20, 2014
Margarita has been invited to speak at the ALSC National Institute Conference in Oakland.
The official book trailer for Tiny Rabbit's Big Wish
The official book trailer for Mountain Dog
More of Margarita's video interview with Colorín Colorado at their website.
Margarita's appearance at the at the 2010 National Book Festival in Washington, D.C.
March 29, 2014
Silver People will be published in Australia by the University of Queensland Press. Check out the beautiful cover!
March 17, 2014
Mountain Dog, The Wild Boook and The Lightning Dreamer are selected as finalists for the International Latino Book Awards. The award ceremony will be at the Clark County Library in Las Vegas, on June 28.
March 6, 2014
Mountain Dog has been named a 2014 -2015 Georgia Book Award Nominee.
Margarita is profiled as one of the poets on Sylvia Vardell's new book, Poetry Aloud Here: Sharing Poetry with Children.
The Lightning Dreamer was selected as 2014 Pura Belpré Honor Book.
Margarita was inverviewed by Patricia Newman of California Kids. Follow this link to read the full article.
Check out the February 15 issue of Booklist for a starred review of Silver People from Michael Cart.
Lightning Dreamer has been selected for new honors such as International Reading Association Top Chapter Book for 2013 and ALSC Notable Children's Book for 2013. See more on this honor list.
January 6, 2014
Great review of Moutain Dog on Librarian's Quest.
The Lightning Dreamer has been chosen by the Center for the Study of Multicultural Children's Literature as a Best Multicultural Book of 2013.
The Lightning Dreamer is a Teaching for Change 2013 Favorite
The Lightning Dreamer has been named one of School Library Journal's Top Ten Latino-themed Books for 2013.
Silver People advanced review:
- Author Angelica Carpenter posted a five star advance review of Silver people on Goodreads (and shared it on her facebook page).
- The December issue of VOYA will have a VOYA Perfect Ten (5Q/5P) advance review of Silver people!
- The December issue of Anansesem will have an interview with Margarita, about Silver People.
- The December issue of Rethinking Schools.
- Margarita's newest book, Silver People, Voices From the Panama Canal, will be a Junior Library Guild selection in their Spring 2014 catalog.
- Book update: Tiny Rabbit's BIG WISH, Margarita's new picture book that will be released in March 2014 by Harcourt, will also be published in Japan, by Iwasaki.
- Mountain Dog has been selected as one of the Kirkus Best Book of the Year for 2013!
- Wonderful review of The Wild Book and Tropical Secrets, on De Colores: The Raza Experience in Books for Children website.
Mountain Dog has been nominated for the Middle Grade Fiction category of the Cybils Award 2013
Margarita enjoyed a Skyped school visit to ESL and AP Spanish classes at Lake Park High School, Illinois.
- Summer Birds has been selected for Scholastic's Quest For Knowledge science packet.
- Margarita's upcoming book,Silver People, Voices From the Panama Canal will be published in Australia and New Zealand by the University of Queensland Press, along with U.S. publication by Harcourt, in 2014.
- Both Hurricane Dancers and The Wild Book will be available in paperback in Fall 2013.
- The Lightning Dreamer was featured in a video and interview on the No Water River poetry blog
- Mountain Dog was featured in a School Library Journal article called "Tough Stuff," about middle grade books that face up to difficult subjects.
- One of Margarita's poems about endangered sea turtles is included in this wonderful new anthology about climate change, Facing the Change: Personal Encounters with Global Warming.
- A new review of The Poet Slave of Cuba is featured on Smithsonian Institute's Book Dragon blog.
Check out these blog articles highlighting Margarita's newest book, The Mountain Dog:
Margarita has joined the community of friends of the Foundation Cuatrogatos. Her book, The Surrender Tree, is included among the 50 books for children and young people by Latin authors titled "De raíces y sueños", by Cuatrogatos and the CEPLI of the University of Castilla - La Mancha.
Margarita has also joined Authors For Earth Day. The organization provide assistance to teachers to host authors for an Earth Day school visit.
This is the beautiful new Korean (Borim Press) edition of Tropical Secrets. The cover is wonderfully redesigned while keeping the original artwork. It's great to see how far a book can travel!
The Lightning Dreamer has been nominated for YALSA's 2014 Best Fiction for Young Adults list.
Book Release Updates:
- Margarita's newest book, Mountain Dog, have an official release date of August 27. Mark your calendar and contact your local bookstore to get your copy!
- Paperback edition of Hurricane Dancers will be released by publisher Square Fish in winter 2014.
- The Poet Slave of Cuba and The Surrender Tree are on a new Bank Street list of read-aloud books recommended for older kids.
- Visit Robyn Hood Black's website for her interview with Margarita about verse novels.
- Margarita spoke to children at a North Fresno Church youth group about wilderness search and rescue dogs, and introduced her new book, Mountain Dog.
- Check out Margarita's interview on her book When You Wander at Annemarie O'Brien's blog, Dog Reads, a blog that features interviews with authors who’ve written stories for kids with a key canine character.
Check out few of Margarita's favorite poetry books selection for younger and older children on Latinas4Literature's blog.
July 11, 2013
During the first week of July, Margarita served as a guest author for the University of Wisconsin's online course, Using Children's Literature to Explore Latin American/Latino Cultural Heritage. The Poet Slave of Cuba was the focus of class discussions.
June 10, 2013
Happy Caribbean-American Heritage Month!
- Margarita is the featured author on Children's Literature Comprehensive Database's June newsletter.
- One of Margarita's poem from Hurricane Dancers is featured on Robyn Hood Black's Poetry Friday
- Hurricane Dancers is featured on Children's Book-A-Day Almanac.
May 24, 2013
Click here to read a new five star review of Margarita's new book,The Lightning Dreamer.
Great news! The Wild Book has been chosen as one of Bankstreet's Best Children's Book of the Year.